Independent review for Shangri-La Fijian Resort on the Coral Coast in Fiji Islands
The Shangri-La Fijian Resort is the largest resort in Fiji with over 400 rooms and is a popular choice for a package holiday amongst Australian families with young children and also for large functions such as wedding parties or conferences. There's a placid lagoon and two beaches, one sandy and rather crowded, the other of coarse coral sand and usually deserted. The resort rooms are also split into two distinct areas: one for adults and one for families. With a private 9-hole golf course, tennis, games arcade, all day kids club, three swimming pools, two large restaurants, bars, night entertainment and shopping parades it by far the liveliest and busiest resort in Fiji.
Shangri-La Fijian Resort Information & Facts
- Hotel Location: Beach Front, on Coral Coast highway, South Viti Levu Island
- Getting There: 50 mins by road from Nadi Airport
- Unique Qualities: Large resort, popular with Australian package holidays
- Ideal for: Families, Weddings, Groups
- Hotel Features: 436 Rooms, 3 Swimming Pools, 9-hole Golf, Kids Club, Wedding Chapel
- Dining: 3 restaurants at the hotel - no independent restaurants nearby
- Children Policy: All ages welcome
- Local Attractions / Tours: Sigatoka Town, Hill Fort, Pottery Village, Kula Eco Park, Biausevu Waterfall
- The Beach: Average - narrow white sand facing lagoon and medium coarse sand on ocean
- The Ocean: Reasonable swimming in lagoon but shallow in ocean at low tide
- Snorkelling: Average off beach, boat trips to outer reef
- Other Activities: Game Fishing, Parasailing, Jet Skis, Windsurfing, Kayaks
Ocean View Rooms:
The Shangri-La Fijian Resort, the largest resort in Fiji is aimed primarily at Australian package holiday-makers. Located on a small island connected by bridge to the main Coral Coast highway, the resort stretches along two sides of the island . The Lagoon side is the busiest section with a large family swimming pool, activities centre and has a placid sandy beach good for swimming and snorkelling. The Ocean side has a coarse sand beach and is quieter although not practical for swimming.
The majority of rooms are located in uninspiring 3-storey hotel blocks spread around the property, all set about 50 metres back from the beach facing the ocean or lagoon. All rooms are air-conditioned with ceiling fans, IDD telephone, in-room safe, refrigerator, tea and coffee making facilities, hair dryer, bathrobes, ironing board and private balcony. The resort is divided into three distinct areas, each with its own swimming pool- one of these is dedicated to couples only whilst two are for families, the lagoon rooms being at the heart of the action and the ocean rooms being more secluded. Family rooms consist of a queen size bed and two single beds with an optional roll-away bed for the third child.
There's a pitch and putt 9-hole golf course, games arcade, all day kids club, large games room with arcade style coin machine games, baby sitting and every conceivable water activity on island including deep water game fishing, parasailing and jet ski rides. The lagoon has a deep sandy bottom ideal for swimming and there are daily excursions to the outer reef for snorkelling and coral viewing. For those getting married, there's a gorgeous chapel in a secluded spot on the island.
see our other Fiji Islands Pictures