Independent review for Matangi Island Resort on Taveuni Island in Fiji
Matangi Island Resort Fiji is a family owned private island resort with several beautiful white sand beaches and just 14 traditional hand crafted thatch bungalows. Renowned for its beautifully crafted bures and friendly Fijian staff, Matangi Island offers a truly peaceful ambience in a secluded region of Fiji making it ideal for weddings, honeymoons, nature lovers and diving enthusiasts.
Matangi Island Resort Information & Facts
- Hotel Location: Private Island off north coast of Taveuni, Northern Fiji
- Getting There: 1 hr 20 mins flight Nadi to Taveuni Airport + 40 mins by road / boat
- Unique Qualities: Exclusive resort, secluded environment, romantic atmosphere
- Ideal for: Couples, Scuba Diving Enthusiasts
- Hotel Features: 14 Traditional Bungalows, swimming pool, overwater restaurant
- Dining: Restaurant & Bar at the hotel - no independent restaurants nearby
- Children Policy: Under 16yrs NOT permitted
- Local Attractions / Tours: Rainbow Reef, Hiking, Bird Watching, Waterfalls, Village Visit
- The Beach: Picturesque sandy beach backed by tropical forest and coconut palms
- The Ocean: Reasonable for swimming - protected lagoon
- Snorkelling: Good - offshore from beach - better at Horseshoe Bay
- Other Activities: Scuba Diving, Game Fishing, Casting, Catamaran, Kayaks, Island Trips
Ocean View Bures are set in the resort's spacious tropical gardens with plenty of privacy and feature high ceilings and immaculate finsihings.
All Beach Front Bures face the beach and ocean and have separate bathroom with door to private outdoor rock shower. All bures are individually designed, well spaced apart and blend in to the wonderful landscaped natural gardens.
The stunning Treehouse Bures feature separate bedroom with king-size bed, lounge with settee and coffee/tea making bar, large bathroom with outdoor rock shower and a large outside deck with jacuzzi. Private veranda overlooking the beach.
Matangi Island Resort has an infinity swimming pool, large open plan dining restaurant with ocean views, an ocean front spa and plenty of hammocks, day-beds and sun loungers in quiet spots around the resort and beach front.
Activities at Matangi Island
Matangi Private Island Resort is a private island 15 minutes by boat off the north tip of Taveuni Island. The private island has no villages and can be explored by foot along the volcanic ridge and coastal walkway. Day trips to the Bouma Forest Park (waterfalls) and to a traditional Fijian village on adjacent Qamea island are arranged weekly. Complimentary kayaks, snorkel equipment and sail boat for your leisure. High speed dive boat and full dive courses and packages available. Picnics to secluded beaches. Massage and spa therapy. Deep sea fishing and casting.
Matangi Island offers complete scuba diving packages including 'Try Dive', full certification and other courses available. Primary dive boat 40ft 'Adi Nunu' jet driven for diver safety. Head on board. Full safety equipment and radio access to base. Our dive sites offer relaxed and easy diving; we don't drop anchor - the boat follows the divers. Most sites between 10 - 30 minutes from the Island. Day Trips to outer Reef areas offered. Normal 2/tank morning dive sites are within 20 minutes of the Island by boat..
see our other Fiji Islands Pictures