Independent review for Manta Ray Island Resort in the Yasawa Islands of Fiji
Manta Ray Island Resort Fiji is a modern style backpacker resort managed by a young Australian couple with basic yet comfortable accommodation, lots of organised activities and a keenly managed environmental waste system. Set alongside a gorgeous turquoise lagoon, close to Manta Ray lagoon (May-Oct), the focus here is on keeping guests busy.
Mantaray Island Resort Room Details & Rates
(click for details & pix)
(c = child)
|Hotel Public Rate
(for 2 people)
|Dorm Room||4 - 18||F$ 45|
|Treehouse Bure||2||F$ 150|
|Jungle Bure||2||F$ 285|
Manta Ray Island Resort Information & Facts
- Hotel Location: Beach Front on uninhabited in Mid Yasawas
- Getting There: 2 hrs 45 mins by fast catamaran from Denarau Marina, Nadi
- Unique Qualities: Swimming with Manta Rays, environmentally friendly and lots of activities
- Ideal for: Couples, Singles & Backpackers
- Hotel Features: Wooden huts and dorm lodges, Internet & TV, Pool table
- Dining: Restaurant & Bar - no independent restaurants nearby
- Children Policy: All ages welcome
- Local Attractions / Tours: Mantay Rays; Village Visits, Hiking, Lagoon Trips
- The Beach: Excellent - fine sand, beach on other side of island
- The Ocean: Excellent for swimming - sandy bottom protected lagoon
- Snorkelling: Good - offshore from beach - boat trips to outer reef can be arranged
- Other Activities: Game Fishing, Kayaking, Tube Rides, Limited Surfing
Accommodation for most travellers is in a large 32-bed Dorm Lodge with double bunks partitioned into groups of 4 beds.
Manta Ray offers six rather tiny but never-the-less private Treehouse Huts dotted amongst the vegetation and sharing the same communal bathrooms as the dorm lodge.
Two Jungle Bungalows with private hot water bathroom have been carefully built without disturbing the existing trees and whilst none offer beach views, all offer a cool shady and natural environment.
Apart from snorkelling and kayaking in the lagoon, the highlight here is the snorkel trips to swim with the Manta Rays (in season from May to Oct). The resort also offers fully qualified SSI dive courses and with its warm lagoons and Manta Rays is the ideal spot for beginners. Wake boarding, and tubing, game fishing, night line fishing and massage are available and there's good but unpredictable reef surfing in the summer months of Dec to April, although you will need to bring your own surf board.
The large open plan restaurant at Manta Ray is set on the slopes of the hill with lovely ocean views. Built of natural materials, meals are of mostly European style dishes - there's a lively bar in the evenings and television.
see our other Fiji Islands Pictures