Independent review for Otuhaka Beach Resort on Tongatapu Island in the Kingdom of Tonga
Otuhaka Beach Resort is a small beachfront backpacker retreat at the southern end of Ha'atafu Beach, Tongatapu's most popular beach location with a good swimming lagoon and snorkelling reefs in front of the resort and some challenging surfing breaks at the northern end of the beach (must bring own board). Otuhaka offers the cheapest beachfront accommodation in Tongatapu with a very affordable restaurant making this a popular choice with backpackers.
Otuhaka Beach Resort Information & Facts
- Hotel Location: Beachfront on western tip of mainland Tongatapu
- Getting There: 40 minutes by road from Tonga International Airport
- Unique Qualities: Beautiful beach, surfing, sightseeing
- Ideal for: Budget Travellers
- Hotel Features: 12 Rooms and Beach Huts
- Dining: Restaurant & bar at resort - no independent restaurants close by
- Children Policy: All ages welcome
- Local Attractions / Tours: Blowholes, Flying foxes
- The Beach: Excellent, fine white coral sand stretching for miles
- The Ocean: Good, part coral bottom, some swimming areas, some waves
- Snorkelling: Good, offshore from beach on outer reef
- Other Activities: Surfing, game fishing
Accommodation is in very basic and slightly untidy wooden huts in a staggered line so all have ocean views and with a double bed and mosquito net. Bathrooms are shared (cold water showers only) and located in the main restaurant area. Behind the restaurant are five larger bungalows, some private, others with two private rooms per bungalow. These rooms offer various room configurations for couples or families and have en-suite bathrooms.
Snorkelling in the lagoon is good and snorkel gear can be rented from the resort. Kayaks can also be rented to explore the lagoon
Otuhaka is only a one minute walk and a short paddle across the lagoon to the most consistent surfing wave on the island, "The Pass." Several other offshore breaks are within walking distance and only minutes away. April through October is the winter south swell season, while November through May is the summer swell season. Boat trips can be arranged for those who want to surf the outer reefs.
see our other Tonga Pictures