Independent review for Puaikura Reef Lodge in Rarotonga Cook Islands
Puaikura Reef Lodge Cook Islands is an excellent value motel style accommodation with studio rooms and suites arranged around a pool in landscaped gardens. With a decent secluded beach across the road and tropical mountains to explore behind the property, Puaikura makes an affordable base with self-catering accommodation.
Puaikura Reef Lodge Room Details & Rates
(click for details & pix)
(c = child)
|Hotel Public Rate
(for 2 people)
|Standard 1 Bedroom Room||4||NZ$ 195|
|Superior Studio||3||NZ$ 210|
|Superior 1 Bedroom Room||4||NZ$ 215|
|Executive Suite||4||NZ$ 220|
Puaikura Reef Lodge Information & Facts
- Hotel Location: Garden Setting on main road, West Coast Rarotonga
- Getting There: 15 mins by road from Rarotonga Airport
- Unique Qualities: Extremely affordable accommodation, clan and simple
- Ideal for: Couples and Families
- Hotel Features: 12 Units, Swimming Pool
- Dining: All bungalows are self-catering - otherwise, independent restaurants nearby
- Children Policy: All ages welcome
- Local Attractions / Tours: Aroa Beach, Arorangi Village, Cultural Village, Raemaru Track
- The Beach: Beach across road with medium coarse sand
- The Ocean: Lagoon across road shallow at low tide, not practical for swimming
- Snorkelling: Some coral and reef fish in outer lagoon
- Other Activities: None
The 4 Standard units are located along the driveway side of the property. Each unit has a separate bedroom from the living area, kitchen facilities and outdoor patio. Units have been refurbished including painting through out, new island style artwork and modern furniture from Indonesia.
The 4 Studio units look out onto the pool area and tropical garden surrounds. All units are very spacious with kitchen facilities, outdoor patio area and have been newly refurbished. Décor is tasteful with modern furniture recently imported from Indonesia and island style artworks.
The 4 Superior 1 bedroom units have slightly larger interiors to the Standard 1 Bedroom and have nicer outlook overlooking the swimming pool. These units have a separate bedroom to the living area and are very spacious. All units have kitchen facilities, outdoor patio area and have been newly refurbished Décor is tasteful with modern furniture recently imported from Indonesia and island style artwork
Thevery spacious 1 bedroom Executive Suite is located upstairs with a partial ocean view. The unit is modern with large kitchen and living areas has a covered deck overlooking the pool and tropical gardens. Décor is tasteful with modern furniture recently imported from Indonesia and island style artworks.
Across the coastal road from Puaikura is a quiet beach with white sand which is good for sunbathing and dipping into the lagoon. However, the lagoon here is a little too shallow at low tide for snorkelling or kayaking but it's a five minute walk along the coast to the public beach beside the large Rarotongan Beach Resort which has good all tide swimming and snorkelling.
see our other Cook Islands Pictures