Independent review for White Grass Ocean Resort on Tanna Island in Vanuatu
White Grass Resort Vanuatu is the only up-market resort on Tanna Island set in beautifully serene landscaped gardens overlooking a coral lagoon and deep ocean. Perched on an uplifted limestone rock-shelf with a strip of white sand beach beneath, White Grass is a boutique style resort with plenty of organised activities, hot water bathrooms, 24-hr electricity and a fine dining restaurant.
White Grass Ocean Resort Room Details & Rates
(click for details & pix)
(c = child)
|Hotel Public Rate
(for 2 people)
|Ocean View Bungalow||2a+2c / 3a||V$ 27,664|
White Grass Ocean Resort Information & Facts
- Hotel Location: Rocky coastline, West Coast, Tanna
- Getting There: 5 mins by road from Tanna Airport (White Grass)
- Unique Qualities: Luxury boutique resort on Tanna
- Ideal for: Couples, Families
- Hotel Features: 10 Bungalows
- Dining: Restaurant & Bar on site
- Children Policy: All ages welcome
- Local Attractions / Tours: Kastom Villages, Blue Hole, Mt Yasur Volcano
- The Beach: Rocky oceanfront with small cove sand beach
- The Ocean: Not practical for swimming but good for reef-walking
- Snorkelling: Good on outer reef but for confident swimmers only (guided trips)
- Other Activities: None
Bungalows are traditionally influenced with thatch roofs, high ceilings and have traditionally designed décor and artefacts on its white-washed cement walls and have cool ceramic tiled floors. Set in landscaped gardens of coconut palms and bougainvillea plants, most with ocean views, bungalows have either twin or queen size beds and day bed, or double and two single beds for families. All bungalows have en-suite hot water bathrooms and 24-hr electrical lamps with limited day / night use 240-volt power points.
White Grass has a fleet of vehicles for sightseeing tours, with daily trips to Mt Yasur Volcano departing at 2.30pm and returning at 8pm (2-hr journey one way), as well as tours to three uniquely different custom villages (Black Magic Kava Drinking Tour, Ipai Cultural style Tour and Yakel traditional dance tour), as well as trips to the Blue Hole underwater caves and a Rainforest or Waterfall tour, enough to fill a week-long holiday.
The beach at White Grass is of coarse coral sand and edges a sharp rocky lagoon with rock pools practical for reef walking (require sturdy reef shoes). For confident swimmers and on calm days only, swimming is possible off the jetty into deep sea and there’s excellent snorkelling along a thirty metre drop-off along the coral reef.
see our other Vanuatu Pictures