Independent review of Plantation Island Resort in the Mamanuca Islands of Fiji
Plantation Island Resort Fiji is one of the most popular family holidays in Fiji. It is also the largest resort in the Mamanuca Islands and is set along a picturesque beach with an excellent swimming lagoon. The focus at Plantation Island is on families and fun activities, especially on the water, and along with its wide range of accommodation styles and budgets, this is resort where families return year after year.
Plantation Island Resort Room Details & Rates
(click for details & pix)
(c = child)
|Hotel Public Rate
(for 2 people)
|Hotel Room||4+1c||F$ 465|
|Beach Front Hotel Room||4+1c||F$ 620|
|Poolside / Studio Room||4+1c||F$ 620|
|Studio Garden Bure||4+1c||F$ 620|
|1-Bedroom Garden Terrace||4+1c||F$ 675|
|2-Bedroom Garden Bure||8||F$ 930|
|Beach Front Bure||4||F$ 985|
Plantation Island Resort Information & Facts
- Hotel Location: Beach Front on Malolo Lailai in the heart of the Mamanuca Islands
- Getting There: 1 hour 10 mins by road / boat from Nadi Airport ; or 10 mins flight
- Unique Qualities: Affordable full-service resort, excellent for families, lots of activities
- Ideal for: Families, Casual Surfers
- Hotel Features: 192 Rooms, 3 Pools, 9-hole Golf, Putting, Beauty Salon, Conference Centre
- Dining: 3 resort restaurants, snack bar, mini-supermarket & BBQ Point along beach
- Children Policy: All ages welcome, Kids Club, Babysitting
- Local Attractions / Tours: Shell Markets in Village, Hill trails, Beachcombing
- The Beach: Beautiful white sand around resort, backed by coconut palms
- The Ocean: Great for swimming, mostly sandy bottom, protected and shallow
- Snorkelling: Average, offshore from beach - outer reef trips by boat
- Other Activities: Diving, Catamarans, Kayaks, Tube Ride, Parasailing, Windsurf, Surfing;
The Poolside Rooms are located on the east side of the resort in quad bungalows (4 units per bungalow). Each unit has a small private sitting area at the entrance and spacious studio living room with King size bed and two single beds. There are two bathrooms - one with toilet, shower and sink, the other with toilet and sink.
The studio garden bures are duplex style bungalows (2 units per bungalow). Each unit has its own private veranda and a open plan living area with queen size bed, two singles and a roll-away bed for the third child.
These spacious 1-bedroom studio rooms have a large master bedroom at the back of the studio and a living area with two single beds at the front of the room. There's a decent size bathroom and tea-coffee making area dividing the two rooms. The rooms are set about 30 metres back from the beachfront on the more spacious west side of the main beach
The largest accommodation type, the 2-bed garden bungalows, can sleep up to 8 people - up to 4 people can sleep in the open plan lounge, and two each in the two separate bedrooms, on ea twin room and the other a master with queen size bed.
The 18 Beach Front bures are located just metres from the Beach Front and offer a lounge connecting to the master bedroom (sliding doors offer privacy) and a second bedroom off the master .
Accommodation at Plantation Island is in 7 different categories, all amongst landscaped gardens and coconut groves. There's a main resort restaurant which offers buffet dining, a beach front snack bar for lighter meals and an a la carte restaurant at the eastern side of the resort close to the airstrip. There's also a mini supermarket here to buy groceries for light snacks and alcoholic drinks.
Plantation Island boasts three swimming pools and heaps of activities. On land, there's a casual 9-hole golf course (clubs and cart hire available), a mini putting golf course, hill walks, cultural and handicraft demonstrations, massage, games room, all day kids club from 4 years and up, baby sitting and beauty salon.
For water enthusiasts, there's complementary snorkelling trips, kayaks, windsurfing and hand line fishing. For a fee, guests can scuba dive (PADI courses available), para sail, water ski, surf, knee board, banana rides and sports fishing as well as island hopping trips and village visits. The lagoon is very safe for children with only lapping waves - the lagoon is sandy bottom and has good all tide swimming.
see our other Fiji Islands Pictures