Independent review of Matava Resort on Kadavu Island in Fiji
Matava Resort Fiji is a small eco hideaway and dive resort on the south east coast of Kadavu, ideal for Scuba Diving Enthusiasts and Nature Lovers looking for a secluded location yet offering the comforts of hot water, good food, plenty of activities and a traditional environment. Accommodation is in traditional bures set on hill with fine ocean views, but tiny Beach Front.
Matava Resort Room Details & Rates
(click for details & pix)
(c = child)
|Hotel Public Rate
(for 2 people)
|Ocean View Bure||3||F$ 320|
|Honeymoon Bure||2a||F$ 390|
All Meals - breakfast, lunch & dinner
Free use of Snorkel Gear & Kayaks
Matava Resort Information & Facts
- Hotel Location: Ocean Front, south east coast of Kadavu, accessible by boat only
- Getting There: 35 mins flight from Nadi Airport, plus 1hr 20mins by boat
- Unique Qualities: Superb diving and snorkelling, lots of eco activities and village visits
- Ideal for: Singles, Adventurous Couples
- Hotel Features: 10 Rooms, Tropical Gardens
- Dining: Restaurant & Bar serves communal meals
- Children Policy: All ages welcome
- Local Attractions / Tours: Great Astrolabe Reef, Vesi Passage for snorkel and surf, Kadavu Village & waterfall
- The Beach: Poor - but there's a secluded beach across channel (swim, walk or kayak)
- The Ocean: Poor for swimming - too shallow - dug-out lagoon offshore from beach
- Snorkelling: Good in channel, excellent in outer passages
- Other Activities: Scuba Diving, Snorkelling, Kayaking, Game Fishing
Accommodation is in traditional style thatch bures. The ocean view bure are set slightly up the hill overlooking the ocean with tropical wooden furniture and hot water en-suite bathrooms.
Honeymoon Bures are slightly more spacious and set more apart for greater privacy.
Apart from exceptional scuba diving along the Great Astrolabe Reef (PADI diving courses available), there's excellent snorkelling in the passage facing Matava or guests are taken to Vesi Passage top see abundance of soft corals and possible ref sharks in the passage. Although there is no sandy Beach Front at Matava, you can wade over to Waya Island which has a secluded white sandy beach, or guests are taken on picnic to neighbouring beaches. There's organised kayaking trips, village visits, hiking trails, waterfall trips and excellent game fishing.
Meals are excellent and are served in a high roof thatch restaurant and there's usually kava drinking and guitar playing. All in all, Matava is a fantastic down to earth holiday destination where you experience nature and traditional life, but with a hint of luxury.
see our other Fiji Islands Pictures